The Division Production and Manufacturing Technologies (PTKA-PFT) is in charge of research management on behalf of various contracting authorities, in particular the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). Project Management is carried out from the main office in Karlsruhe and the branch office in Dresden.
As a competent service unit, PTKA-PFT acts as a partner and mediator between public institutions, industrial enterprises, and research institutes.
Tasks include the preparation of programs, selection and accompaniment of research projects, proper administration of research budgets, launching of international cooperative ventures, and dissemination of results.
A major activity is the management of the BMBF Framework Concept "Research for Tomorrow’s Production". Current research projects cover the following main topics:
- Market orientation and strategic product planning
- Technologies and production systems
- New types of cooperation of producing companies
- Man and enterprises capable of change
In addition, PTKA-PFT is in charge of the following funding initiatives:
- Forum Startups from research – "Gründerforum aus der Forschung" GFF
- Funding initiative of the BMBF to enhance regional innovation potentials - "Entrepreneurial Regions (Unternehmen Region) - the BMBF Innovation Initiative for the New German Länder"
As national contact point, PTKA-PFT – on behalf of the BMBF and in cooperation with the European Commission – coordinates the production sector under the 7th R&D framework programme of the EU. Moreover, PTKA-PFT is the German coordination office of EURKA projects run under the PRO-FACTORY Umbrella project for the entire production sector.